Thursday, June 10, 2010

What's Your Opinion: Friend or Not?

True Story:
A boy asked me to dance at our Grade 6 Valentine's Day Party. He seemed like a kind boy, but he was an outcast in our class. As we awkwardly swayed back and forth together I couldn't help notice the pungent odor coming from him.

I leaned in and whispered, "Did you take a shower?"

"Yes," he whispered back.

"Did you use a bar of soap, or did you just use the leftover suds from the shampoo?"

Sheepishly he replied, "The suds."

"Maybe you better use the bar because you don't smell very good."

Yes, I actually said that. I cringe thinking about it now.

So what do you think, was I a friend or not? I still feel guilty about telling a boy that he stunk even though my intention was to help him become more accepted by our classmates. If I were the "outcast", what would I have wanted done to me? What would you have wanted done to you?

What do you think I should have done? What would you have done? Please post your comments.

"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them."
Luke 6:31 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What you say means so much.